The history of Local Government in Mount Gambier dates from 1863. The District Council of Mount Gambier met for the first time on 17 th June, 1863 where Dr Edward Wehl was elected Chairman. In December 1864 the District Council of Mount Gambier became the District Council of Mount Gambier West (Town Council) and the District Council of Mount Gambier East was also formed. In May 1876 a further division occurred resulting in the creation of the first Town Council with Mr John Watson as Mayor. The three local governments operated up until 1932 when the District Council of Mount Gambier West and District Council of Mount Gambier East were merged and became the District Council of Mount Gambier. On December 9th , 1954 the proclamation declaring Mount Gambier a City received the assent of the Governor. During 2004 the City celebrated its fifty years as a City with a range of events and activities culminating in a week of celebrations leading up to the anniversary date of 9 th December, 2004 which also included a visit by Her Excellency, Marjorie Jackson-Nelson AC, CVO, MBE, Governor of South Australia. “Mount Gambier 50 and Loving It”.